Sunday, July 29, 2007

Class 103 (Back on Schedule)

This week the assignment was to animate our first bouncing ball, with the weight of a basketball, and have Stu show excitement. While I haven’t figured out the best way to show the videos my ball bounced well Dana did point out that my end bounces, where the ball has lost it’s original energy, were to far apart from one another. On to Stu-he’s more exciting anyway. *note-I have thumbnails for my animation but they are confusing if you aren’t me so I think it’s just easier for you to imagine a ball bouncing and tag it as my work.

My reference: the guy on the left. Yes I do realize that as a Yankees fan it’s sacreligious to use the Red Sox for anything.

Sketches from the rest of my research

Finally Stu


Excitement is a very vague emotion and can be explored in many ways. The way that first comes to mind, and also happens to be what I saw when looking at other first semester AMers, is the jumping for joy. Very few people decided to go for the reserved excitement of a Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson after they’ve one their millionth tournament. I have to admit that I too fell victim to the “jump.” Since Stu is not anatomically built I reached a point where I knew I wouldn’t be able to pull it off. I also have a seated one that was way to awkward to even talk about. Oddly enough the jumping Stu I spent the most time on with the least success.

My classmates harped on tangencies in Stu’s pose. I see them but I don’t think the tangency argument is registering just yet when I am getting my cameras set, or posing for that matter. They also suggested that a different camera angle would be better. I beg to differ mostly because I took the suggestion from the previous week that I should pose for the camera and trust me from any other angle Stu looks a mess.

Dana on the other hand liked the angle and suggested as a way to make read more clearly, with less tangents to pull Stu’s right elbow back as well as his left foot, then also to show the left wrist by bringing it up a bit more. Everyone liked the pose and line of action. Those are the two things that I wanted to get the most. I do understand from a different angle the pose would be more open but this was my midway pose just open enough that it reads as if Stu is excited to see someone without being too much, yet.

No comments: