Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The previous post...

was just obnoxiously whimsical thinking before I had; a name, Jay Jay; and character description, "the tall skinny guy, who somehow knows everything and gets really annoying at times." Special thanks to Timmy O for that great description. It turns out that it's really hard to design a character when you have no real description of what they should look like and what parts of their personality should be exaggerated in their body. I now have a page of drawings and one good concept to go off that are making my modeling which is now being done completely in Maya flow very nicely.

It is a bit difficult to learn new modeling techniques and software at the same time but it's coming to me even easier in Maya than in 3DS Max. Ultimately if you really have the art part down pat the software become nothing more than a tool that you need to practice to become completely adept with. I have to admit that thanks to the Digital-Tutors modeling tutorials it's so easy to go through the process using their techniques for my model really makes it all fly. So here's the start of Jay Jay: